From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:09:56
1 On Monday 14 January 2008, James wrote:
2 > If it dies lots of folks
3 > can pick up the code, rename it and start a fork that can be GPL or
4 > commercial, IMHO.   The GPL get's in the way, IMHO. Handing it over
5 > to Daniel with ~100% non publish control is a recipe for the serfs
6 >  and the majority of the serfs to get the privilege of remaining on
7 > massa's farm, IMHO.
10 > Why else do you think the real discussions are going on behind
11 > closed doors?
12
13 Even if Daniel does wrest control of Gentoo from the non-existant
14 Foundation and change the license on Gentoo's copyright works, very
15 little actually changes.
16
17 He can't prohibit anyone from using what they already have under GPL,
18 and each one of us already has a complete copy of portage on our
19 machines. If he does turn Gentoo into some evil empire, the rest of us
20 always have the choice to say "So long, it was nice knowing you", fork
21 and create a new distro. A new gentoo might be able to tell us that we
22 can't use any portage code published after tomorrow, but so what? How
23 much code is that actually going to be?
24
25 Same with the docs, that was published under CC Attribution/Share-Alike.
26 I can rip all of http://www.gentoo.org/doc/ right now with wget, remove
27 the Gentoo logo and stick it up on any web site I feel like as long as
28 I clearly say (preferably on every page) that the original was written
29 for and copyrighted by the Gentoo Foundation. Nothing anyone does now
30 or in the future can legally prevent me from doing that.
31
32 Trying to undo the GPL on Gentoo's creative works will be distro
33 suicide, as no distro has ever managed it, and Gentoo is in no position
34 to try. Red Hat is the most business-savvy Linux out there and they are
35 very very careful to GPL every last keystroke. SuSE tried to keep Yast
36 proprietary but when Novell bought them, the community forced their
37 hand and now Yast is open source and we have OpenSuSE a la Fedora.
38 Ubuntu is moving toward GLPing Launchpad last I heard (I can't fathom
39 why it's taking so long...)
40
41 No distro has ever managed to succeed in the Linux market with anything
42 other than the GPL, fully and completely complied with.
43
44 I don't doubt that Daniel has financial goals for Gentoo. The original
45 reason he left, amongst others, was because he couldn't get this past
46 the other leaders at the time, and he had pressing financial needs.
47 It's not unusual to negotiate these things behind closed doors. I sure
48 as hell wouldn't do it in public right now. Heck, I'd have to contend
49 with people like myself who factually couldn't add much to the
50 negotiations but certainly have an opinion. No thanks, I wouldn't do it
51 that way.
52
53 I don't see much of a downside overall. If worst comes to worst then
54 Daniel kills Gentoo and we fork.
57 Alan McKinnon
58 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
59 --