From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't boot Compaq Proliant 1600
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 19:16:08
1 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Daniel da Veiga wrote:
5 >> >
6 >> > Tell me about it, gotta drag this old machine all the way up to the
7 >> > forth floor. It was an inexpensive choice for a file server, and I was
8 >> > happy to see the Gentoo Minimal CD booting (cause then I was sure it
9 >> > would work).
10 >> >
11 >> > Anyway, I had to go (I'm on the road right now) and left it compiling
12 >> > a new kernel (manually this time), that I'll test tomorrow.
13 >> >
14 >> > Is there any way to copy the LiveCD kernel and initrd so I can boot
15 >> > the EXACT kernel the CD is using? This way I can troubleshoot this
16 >> > damn thing without a LiveCD and chroot every 5 minutes...
17 >> >
18 >>
19 >> There may be a way to copy those setting and such but I'm not sure how.
20 >> If Knoppix can do it there has to be a way. I read you can put Knoppix
21 >> on a hard drive too.
22 >>
23 >> I can say one thing about the server, it has great cooling for a old
24 >> rig. I think they made it big and heavy so the fans would not push it
25 >> across the floor. LOL
26 >>
27 >> I wonder if I can copy that to the floppy? I think the floppy works.
28 >> I'll check on that in a little bit. May save me from dragging that
29 >> thing in the house.
33 > Well, thanks for the help guys.
34 > When installing, I used the config from the LiveCD to build my own. It
35 > seems that, somehow along the way (probably oldconfig?!) some serious
36 > support was removed or marked as module. I mean the console support...
37 > I'm pretty sure I didn't messed up with that part, and still, it
38 > wasn't there. Well, 7 hours wasted on this, gosh...
39 >
40 > Thanks again.
44 Just to clarify, you can boot from the hard drive and it is working now?
45
46 Dale
47
49 --