From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't boot Compaq Proliant 1600
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 11:51:48
1 On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Tell me about it, gotta drag this old machine all the way up to the
5 > > forth floor. It was an inexpensive choice for a file server, and I was
6 > > happy to see the Gentoo Minimal CD booting (cause then I was sure it
7 > > would work).
8 > >
9 > > Anyway, I had to go (I'm on the road right now) and left it compiling
10 > > a new kernel (manually this time), that I'll test tomorrow.
11 > >
12 > > Is there any way to copy the LiveCD kernel and initrd so I can boot
13 > > the EXACT kernel the CD is using? This way I can troubleshoot this
14 > > damn thing without a LiveCD and chroot every 5 minutes...
17 > There may be a way to copy those setting and such but I'm not sure how.
18 > If Knoppix can do it there has to be a way. I read you can put Knoppix
19 > on a hard drive too.
20 >
21 > I can say one thing about the server, it has great cooling for a old
22 > rig. I think they made it big and heavy so the fans would not push it
23 > across the floor. LOL
24 >
25 > I wonder if I can copy that to the floppy? I think the floppy works.
26 > I'll check on that in a little bit. May save me from dragging that
27 > thing in the house.
30 Well, thanks for the help guys.
31 When installing, I used the config from the LiveCD to build my own. It
32 seems that, somehow along the way (probably oldconfig?!) some serious
33 support was removed or marked as module. I mean the console support...
34 I'm pretty sure I didn't messed up with that part, and still, it
35 wasn't there. Well, 7 hours wasted on this, gosh...
36
37 Thanks again.
40 Daniel da Veiga
41 --