From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hardware autodetection at boot
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 16:50:42
1 on Thursday 05/29/2008 Pawel K(pawlaczus@×××××.com) wrote
2 > I compiled the kernel with all modules:
3 >
4 > make allmodconfig
5 > make
6 > make modules_install
7 >
8 > I have udev running on my machine since more than a year.
9 > I created the following section in grub.conf:
10 >
11 > title vanilla-all-modules
12 > root (hd0,0)
13 > kernel /boot/kernel-all-modules root=/dev/hda1
14 >
15 > The kernel is unable to mount my ext3 root filesystem.
16 > It shows the following message:
17 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0).
18 >
19 > (hd0,0) is correct since I copied it from my daily grub section.
20 > I have ext3.ko in the following path:
21 > /lib/modules/2.6.24.3/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko
22 >
23 > Could you give me some indications of how to solve this problem.
26 You need an initrd as well and I did not see one in your grub stanza
27 -- if you generated one, put it in /boot and in the stanza, otherwise
28 be sure to generate one using genkernel.
29
30 Hope this helps.
33 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
34 How do
35 you spend it?
36
37 John Covici