From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slim: After zapping X fallback to console
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:08:19
1 Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@×××××.com> [08-10-16 03:54]:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 7:14 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > The login manager slim, which is started in daemon mode,
6 > > get killed when X is left by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
7 > > (zapping X) -- there is a fallback to the login of the
8 > > root console instead of getting a new login screen of slim.
9 > >
10 > > How can I prevent this?
11 > >
12 > I use
13 > x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >% /dev/null
14 > in /etc/inittab, instead of /etc/init.d/xdm. This seems to solve the
15 > issue. SLiM 1.3.1 seems a bit buggy, however, on Gentoo (although
16 > didn't try on other distributions). Version 1.3.0 was more stable.
17 >
18 > Regards,
19 > Liviu
22 I am using slim 1.3.0....
23 I will try the inittab-patch, but it is only a workaround.
24 By the way: Is there a way to use different backgrounds for
25 slim and the desktop. I am using Icewm and that background
26 was overwritten by slim...
27
28 Thanks a lot for your help!
29
30 KLind regards,
31 mcc
34 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
35 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
36 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
37 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.