From: Geralt <usr.gentoo@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slim: After zapping X fallback to console
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:38:30
1 Hi,
2
3 actually there is nothing wrong with slim, you have to remember that
4 slim is an X-application, so killing X also kills all applications
5 using X (including X-based login-managers). To fix this xdm needs to
6 restart slim, or you use /etc/inittab. You should also realize that
7 using /etc/inittabs respawn option is no workaround but a perfectly
8 legal solution to automatically respawn your graphical environment.
9 In Archlinux for example it's the suggested way to handle this.
10
11 Although it would be possible to include this respawning into slim
12 (and I suppose that gdm and kdm have this feature?) it is much more
13 work than checking in xdm is slim is still up and if not restarting it
14 (since xdm is slim's parent process it gets even informed about it, so
15 no polling would be necessary!).
19 Geralt.
20