From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slim: After zapping X fallback to console
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:30:09
1 Hi,
2
3 for what purpose slim offers a dameon mode? What is
4 the difference between starting slim in dameon and
5 in "normal" mode ?
6
7 Meino
14 Geralt <usr.gentoo@××××××××××.com> [08-10-16 17:45]:
15 > Hi,
16 >
17 > actually there is nothing wrong with slim, you have to remember that
18 > slim is an X-application, so killing X also kills all applications
19 > using X (including X-based login-managers). To fix this xdm needs to
20 > restart slim, or you use /etc/inittab. You should also realize that
21 > using /etc/inittabs respawn option is no workaround but a perfectly
22 > legal solution to automatically respawn your graphical environment.
23 > In Archlinux for example it's the suggested way to handle this.
24 >
25 > Although it would be possible to include this respawning into slim
26 > (and I suppose that gdm and kdm have this feature?) it is much more
27 > work than checking in xdm is slim is still up and if not restarting it
28 > (since xdm is slim's parent process it gets even informed about it, so
29 > no polling would be necessary!).
33 > Geralt.
34 >