From: Francesco Talamona <ti.liame@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: rkhunter and /dev/dev
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:27:40
1 On Sunday 27 April 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > > Why do I have duplicated md devices?
3 >
4 > It sounds like a udev rule may be causing this, possibly an
5 > incorrectly written one, because the /dev part of node names is
6 > implicit in udev, so if you set a name or symlink to dev/foo, you'll
7 > get /dev/dev/foo.
8
9 It was the first thing I searched for in /etc/udev, but there weren't
10 explicit pointers to dev, furthermore I have one only custom file
11 in /etc/udev/rules.d: 10-local.rules, and the only other one I edited
12 is 70-persistent-net.rules; they surely have nothing to do with md
13 devices.
14
15 After your second reply I did a crazy thing: moved /etc/udev to another
16 position and reemerged udev. Then I diffed the two directories, because
17 there were many files dated 2005 and 2006 not belonging to any
18 packages.
19
20 This cleanup wasn't enough, but then I edited /etc/mdadm.conf, modified
21 the ARRAY directive
22
23 from:
24 ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=...
25
26 to:
27 ARRAY md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=...
28
29 I got some warnings at bootup, but no /dev/dev.
30
31 Now I have no ARRAY directives in /etc/mdadm.conf, no /dev/dev and my
32 system is more zippy than ever!! No more slowdowns on large file
33 transfers: previously I was used to see transfer rate drop from initial
34 peak to 8-10MB/sec, now the speed is constantly high..
35
36 Of course rkhunter is now happy about my configuration, as like as me!
37
38 Ciao
39 Francesco
42 Linux Version 2.6.25-gentoo-r1, Compiled #2 PREEMPT Sun Apr 20 10:05:09
44 One 1GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 2GB RAM, 2004.01 Bogomips Total
45 aemaeth
46 --
47 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list