From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox occasionally stalls
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:13:37
1 On Tuesday 21 Mar 2017 22:50:04 Kai Krakow wrote:
2
3 ---<8
4
5 > I'm combining this with bcache. That's a cache between kernel and
6 > filesystem that you put on SSD. Apparently, it requires repartitioning
7 > to map your filesystem through bcache (it has to add a protective
8 > superblock in front of your FS). So, a small SSD + bcache can make your
9 > complete 500GB spinning rust act mostly like SSD perfomance-wise.
10 >
11 > I think there's a script that can move your FS 8 kB forward on HDD to
12 > add that bcache superblock. But I wouldn't try that without backup and
13 > some spare time. But it is a performance wonder.
14 >
15 > Using 3x 1TB btrfs RAID + 500GB bcache here. The system feels like an
16 > SSD system but I don't have to decide what to put on a small SSD and
17 > what to put on big slow storage. Is just automagic. ;-)
18
19 You have me thinking now. I have a couple of spare 1TB SSDs here, and my
20 workstation is a 12-core i7 running on a 256GB NVMe drive with 32 GB RAM.
21
22 Maybe I should put the SSDs into a RAID-1 to contain the system (the same as
23 they were in the old, now defunct box), then use the NVMe for bcache. What
24 do you think of that idea? I'm not desperately short of space, but I've none
25 spare either.
26
27 The workstation's full time is spent running physics BOINC projects. That's
28 all other than the usual desktop tasks.
31 Regards
32 Peter