From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox occasionally stalls
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 22:48:37
1 Am Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:12:36 +0000
2 schrieb Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>:
3
4 > On Tuesday 21 Mar 2017 22:50:04 Kai Krakow wrote:
5 >
6 > ---<8
7 >
8 > > I'm combining this with bcache. That's a cache between kernel and
9 > > filesystem that you put on SSD. Apparently, it requires
10 > > repartitioning to map your filesystem through bcache (it has to add
11 > > a protective superblock in front of your FS). So, a small SSD +
12 > > bcache can make your complete 500GB spinning rust act mostly like
13 > > SSD perfomance-wise.
14 > >
15 > > I think there's a script that can move your FS 8 kB forward on HDD
16 > > to add that bcache superblock. But I wouldn't try that without
17 > > backup and some spare time. But it is a performance wonder.
18 > >
19 > > Using 3x 1TB btrfs RAID + 500GB bcache here. The system feels like
20 > > an SSD system but I don't have to decide what to put on a small SSD
21 > > and what to put on big slow storage. Is just automagic. ;-)
22 >
23 > You have me thinking now. I have a couple of spare 1TB SSDs here, and
24 > my workstation is a 12-core i7 running on a 256GB NVMe drive with 32
25 > GB RAM.
26 >
27 > Maybe I should put the SSDs into a RAID-1 to contain the system (the
28 > same as they were in the old, now defunct box), then use the NVMe for
29 > bcache. What do you think of that idea? I'm not desperately short of
30 > space, but I've none spare either.
31
32 I'm not sure if bcache can use NVMe at their full potential... Maybe
33 head over to the bcache list and ask there. I think it faces some write
34 serialization issues while NVMe should better work with multi-queue
35 scheduler.
36
37 If you're going to use mdraid, maybe better look into mdcache.
38
39 But your results would be interesting. :-)
43 Regards,
44 Kai
45
46 Replies to list-only preferred.