From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox occasionally stalls
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 15:05:08
1 On Wednesday 22 Mar 2017 23:48:06 Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Am Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:12:36 +0000
3 > schrieb Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>:
4 > > You have me thinking now. I have a couple of spare 1TB SSDs here, and
5 > > my workstation is a 12-core i7 running on a 256GB NVMe drive with 32
6 > > GB RAM.
7 > >
8 > > Maybe I should put the SSDs into a RAID-1 to contain the system (the
9 > > same as they were in the old, now defunct box), then use the NVMe for
10 > > bcache. What do you think of that idea? I'm not desperately short of
11 > > space, but I've none spare either.
12 >
13 > I'm not sure if bcache can use NVMe at their full potential... Maybe
14 > head over to the bcache list and ask there. I think it faces some write
15 > serialization issues while NVMe should better work with multi-queue
16 > scheduler.
17 >
18 > If you're going to use mdraid, maybe better look into mdcache.
19
20 Ah, yes, I see what you mean.
21
22 > But your results would be interesting. :-)
23
24 So I thought too. :-)
25
26 For the moment I think I'll just cogitate quietly. Thanks for the idea,
27 which may yet see some fruit.
30 Regards
31 Peter