From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shutdown, Gentoo and the Arietta.G25
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 21:04:14
1 On Monday, December 01, 2014 7:34:35 PM meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-12-01 19:16]:
3 > > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > another >sigh< from an Arietta adventure...
7 > > >
8 > > > I sintalled Gentoo on an Arietta G25
9 > > > (http://www.acmesystems.it/arietta).
10 > > >
11 > > > For this I used Robert Nelsons Kernel for armv5tel platforms,
12 > > > which boots fine (using at91bootstrap, no U-Boot).
13 > > >
14 > > > But: Shutdown (as recommmended by acmesystems "shutdown -h -H now")
15 > > > REBOOTS the system instead of powering it down.
16 > > >
17 > > > The hardware is not to blame: Using the original Debian rootfs
18 > > > and the kernel 3.16.1 (Robert Nelsons kernel is 3.17.3.) the
19 > > > powerdown works fine.
20 > > >
21 > > > Firstly I blamed the kernel...but when using the 3.16.1 kernel
22 > > > and the Gentoo rootfs the problem remains.
23 > > >
24 > > > Then I copied the Gentoo shutdown to the Debian rootfs, boot that
25 > > > and tries to shutdown the Debian Linux with it.
26 > > > shutdown cries "no /dev/initctl" adn shutdowns the system only for
27 > > > rebooting it.
28 > > >
29 > > > Ok...seems to be the shutdown executable.
30 > > >
31 > > > I copied the Debian shutdown to Gentoo and tries that:
32 > > > The systems reboots.
33 > > >
34 > > > Slowly but surely I begin to think, that I dont understand anything at
35 all of
36 > > > It would be relly good news,
37 > > > that...
38 > > >
39 > > > "man shutdown" on the Debian image informs me, that the manpages
40 > > > were not installed (embedded system...). Shutdown --version gives
41 > > > a short help of the usual options...but nothing more.
42 > > >
43 > > > What is the difference here?
44 > > > Isn't it, that all shutdown applications only send some instructions
45 > > > to the kernel and the kernel is the main actor in bringing the system
46 > > > down?
47 > > >
48 > > > Is there any shutdown guru ;) out there, who is able to shed some
49 > > > light into this problem ? :)
50 > > >
51 > > > Thank you very much in advance for any torch send into my direction!
52 > > > Best regards,
53 > > > Meino
54 > > >
55 > >
56 > > Just shooting in the dark here, try -h and -H but not at the same time?
57 > > Maybe having both is clashing in some weird way???
58 > >
59 > > Dale
60 > >
61 > > :-) :-)
64 > Hi Dale,
65 >
66 > The "Trouble shooting FAQ"*) by acmesystems explicitely say "shutdown -h
67 > -H now" (and it works with the Debian rootfs)...but I will try "the
68 > other shutdowns" and will see, what happens,
69 >
70 > Best regards,
71 > Meino
75 > *) http://www.acmesystems.it/qa
78 Looking at the code for sysvinit, all shutdown does is set some environment
79 variables and switch runlevel. The actual shutdown is done by halt and it's
80 done through the reboot system call with RB_POWER_OFF.
81
82 So, since you said the Gentoo system doesn't work even with Debian's kernel
83 and the shutdown, then it must be that either Debian has a different halt, or
84 more likely your Gentoo system calls halt with different options. So check your
85 inittab on Gentoo and make sure it calls halt in the same way.
88 Fernando Rodriguez
89 frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com
90 PGP Key: http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF6CE157FF9525C1C