From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shutdown, Gentoo and the Arietta.G25
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 18:34:44
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-12-01 19:16]:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > another >sigh< from an Arietta adventure...
6 > >
7 > > I sintalled Gentoo on an Arietta G25
8 > > (http://www.acmesystems.it/arietta).
9 > >
10 > > For this I used Robert Nelsons Kernel for armv5tel platforms,
11 > > which boots fine (using at91bootstrap, no U-Boot).
12 > >
13 > > But: Shutdown (as recommmended by acmesystems "shutdown -h -H now")
14 > > REBOOTS the system instead of powering it down.
15 > >
16 > > The hardware is not to blame: Using the original Debian rootfs
17 > > and the kernel 3.16.1 (Robert Nelsons kernel is 3.17.3.) the
18 > > powerdown works fine.
19 > >
20 > > Firstly I blamed the kernel...but when using the 3.16.1 kernel
21 > > and the Gentoo rootfs the problem remains.
22 > >
23 > > Then I copied the Gentoo shutdown to the Debian rootfs, boot that
24 > > and tries to shutdown the Debian Linux with it.
25 > > shutdown cries "no /dev/initctl" adn shutdowns the system only for
26 > > rebooting it.
27 > >
28 > > Ok...seems to be the shutdown executable.
29 > >
30 > > I copied the Debian shutdown to Gentoo and tries that:
31 > > The systems reboots.
32 > >
33 > > Slowly but surely I begin to think, that I dont understand anything at all of
34 > > It would be relly good news,
35 > > that...
36 > >
37 > > "man shutdown" on the Debian image informs me, that the manpages
38 > > were not installed (embedded system...). Shutdown --version gives
39 > > a short help of the usual options...but nothing more.
40 > >
41 > > What is the difference here?
42 > > Isn't it, that all shutdown applications only send some instructions
43 > > to the kernel and the kernel is the main actor in bringing the system
44 > > down?
45 > >
46 > > Is there any shutdown guru ;) out there, who is able to shed some
47 > > light into this problem ? :)
48 > >
49 > > Thank you very much in advance for any torch send into my direction!
50 > > Best regards,
51 > > Meino
54 > Just shooting in the dark here, try -h and -H but not at the same time?
55 > Maybe having both is clashing in some weird way???
56 >
57 > Dale
58 >
62 Hi Dale,
63
64 The "Trouble shooting FAQ"*) by acmesystems explicitely say "shutdown -h
65 -H now" (and it works with the Debian rootfs)...but I will try "the
66 other shutdowns" and will see, what happens,
67
68 Best regards,
69 Meino
73 *) http://www.acmesystems.it/qa