From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shutdown, Gentoo and the Arietta.G25
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 18:13:38
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > another >sigh< from an Arietta adventure...
5 >
6 > I sintalled Gentoo on an Arietta G25
7 > (http://www.acmesystems.it/arietta).
8 >
9 > For this I used Robert Nelsons Kernel for armv5tel platforms,
10 > which boots fine (using at91bootstrap, no U-Boot).
11 >
12 > But: Shutdown (as recommmended by acmesystems "shutdown -h -H now")
13 > REBOOTS the system instead of powering it down.
14 >
15 > The hardware is not to blame: Using the original Debian rootfs
16 > and the kernel 3.16.1 (Robert Nelsons kernel is 3.17.3.) the
17 > powerdown works fine.
18 >
19 > Firstly I blamed the kernel...but when using the 3.16.1 kernel
20 > and the Gentoo rootfs the problem remains.
21 >
22 > Then I copied the Gentoo shutdown to the Debian rootfs, boot that
23 > and tries to shutdown the Debian Linux with it.
24 > shutdown cries "no /dev/initctl" adn shutdowns the system only for
25 > rebooting it.
26 >
27 > Ok...seems to be the shutdown executable.
28 >
29 > I copied the Debian shutdown to Gentoo and tries that:
30 > The systems reboots.
31 >
32 > Slowly but surely I begin to think, that I dont understand anything at all of
33 > It would be relly good news,
34 > that...
35 >
36 > "man shutdown" on the Debian image informs me, that the manpages
37 > were not installed (embedded system...). Shutdown --version gives
38 > a short help of the usual options...but nothing more.
39 >
40 > What is the difference here?
41 > Isn't it, that all shutdown applications only send some instructions
42 > to the kernel and the kernel is the main actor in bringing the system
43 > down?
44 >
45 > Is there any shutdown guru ;) out there, who is able to shed some
46 > light into this problem ? :)
47 >
48 > Thank you very much in advance for any torch send into my direction!
49 > Best regards,
50 > Meino
53 Just shooting in the dark here, try -h and -H but not at the same time?
54 Maybe having both is clashing in some weird way???
55
56 Dale
57