From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconstruct package.use
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 00:03:50
1 On 15/03/2015 01:52, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 00:12:49 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> I delete package.use and have no backup
5 >>
6 >> Is there any easy way to recover what was in it? I'm busy doing it the
7 >> long way round - repeatedly running emerge world, get past the blocking
8 >> USE, then see all the flags that portage thinks changed.
9 >>
10 >> I wonder if there might be an easier way that I don't know of.
11 >
12 > I can't think of an approach any better than what you're doing. But
13 > console yourself with the thought that you will only ever have to do this
14 > once, because you'll always backup /etc/portage from now on.
17 That's what I thought.... oh well...
20 > BTW having backups is no protection against ID-ten-T errors. I no longer
21 > use BackupPC so decided to delete my backuppc subvolume last week, and
22 > used tab completion, not noticing that it completed on backup until an
23 > ohnosecond before hittng enter.
24 >
25 > I wondered why the backuppc volume was still listed, then I wondered why
26 > it was listed first, then I cried.
27
28 ooooooooh, nasty. We've all done things like that.
29
30 My favourite is the time I was trying to run fsck/repair an ext3 volume
31 and was getting strange errors, which I didn't take time to understand.
32 Being tired and lazy, I confused --force with RTFM.
33
34 Then I noticed it was actually a reiser volume.
35
36 One customer machine. Ruined.
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com