From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconstruct package.use
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 23:52:38
1 On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 00:12:49 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > I delete package.use and have no backup
4 >
5 > Is there any easy way to recover what was in it? I'm busy doing it the
6 > long way round - repeatedly running emerge world, get past the blocking
7 > USE, then see all the flags that portage thinks changed.
8 >
9 > I wonder if there might be an easier way that I don't know of.
10
11 I can't think of an approach any better than what you're doing. But
12 console yourself with the thought that you will only ever have to do this
13 once, because you'll always backup /etc/portage from now on.
14
15 BTW having backups is no protection against ID-ten-T errors. I no longer
16 use BackupPC so decided to delete my backuppc subvolume last week, and
17 used tab completion, not noticing that it completed on backup until an
18 ohnosecond before hittng enter.
19
20 I wondered why the backuppc volume was still listed, then I wondered why
21 it was listed first, then I cried.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 "Thou shalt not battle over operating systems. I am wise and in My wisdom
28 have created diverse and various operating systems."
29 The Ten Usenet Commandments: One