From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Automation: Ripping DVDs to disk
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:58:36
1 On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > As for the "unskippable" flag, I wonder if the other tools "rebuild" the menu
3 > structure and remove it that way. I have in the past played with making dvd-
4 > menus myself and it wasn't too hard. (following the howtos)
5
6 It is the UOP flag (user operation prohibition). Most "DVD copier"
7 programs who make whole copies of discs (like K9Copy or DVD 9to5 in
8 linux or DVDShrink on Windows) remove this flag and the region
9 restrictions, too.
10
11 The DVD's author can define actions for every type of button press on
12 the remote control, or prohibit them. Sometimes they work-around the
13 removal of UOPs by defining the keys with invalid actions so even if
14 the prohibition is removed, the key still doesn't work. In that case
15 it's probably more difficult to fix it yourself.
16
17 A list of the UOP flags is here:
18 http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/cmd-7.php