From: "Elaine C. Sharpe" <elaine@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is KDE part of the system set?
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:09:37
1 In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
2 > Sebastian Beßler wrote:
3 >> Am 24.02.2011 13:32, schrieb Dale:
4 >>
5 >>> My world file is fine. I went through it a while back and it is fairly
6 >>> small. It's the system set that is larger than normal.
7 >>
8 >> Your system set has 50 entries, that seems to be absolutly normal.
9 >>
10 >> The high count of entries in emerge -e @system comes from USE-flags
11 >> like kde (what we have shown in the other post) and probably one or
12 >> more other USE-flags.
13 >>
14 >> To lower the number in emerge -e @system you have to look at your
15 >> flags, one by one if nothing else helps. Or you could just ignore it,
16 >> because all that is pulled in are dependencies of some sort and not in
17 >> your @system.
18 >>
19 >> Greetings
20 >>
21 >> Sebastian Beßler
25 > And since I use KDE, it's not like I can disable the USE flag either. I
26 > may be able to disable or remove some others that are not needed or
27 > outdated but still, kde would be there.
28 >
29 > I just wonder if the devs have noticed how much this has grown when
30 > packages with X flags are included in the system set?. Would Gnome do
31 > the same? What about other GUI's?
32 >
33 > If I do this:
34 >
35 > USE="-*" emerge -pv system
36 >
37 > I get this:
38 >
39 > Total: 50 packages (50 reinstalls)
40 >
41 > What a difference USE flags makes huh?
42 >
43 > Dale
44 >
45 >:-) :-)
46
47 I use fluxbox and sometimes wmaker. Probably a lot of people are put
48 off by the default configs, but both offer extremely powerful and
49 versatile customization tools. Add your fave terminal emulator (I
50 recommend terminator for it's killer feature set) and conky for system
51 monitoring, midnight commander or worker for file management, and you
52 have a pretty complete desktop without need of all the bloaty k or g
53 stuff. It's a *lot* faster that way, too.
56 caveat utilitor