From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is KDE part of the system set?
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 15:04:24
1 Elaine C. Sharpe wrote:
2 >
3 > I use fluxbox and sometimes wmaker. Probably a lot of people are put
4 > off by the default configs, but both offer extremely powerful and
5 > versatile customization tools. Add your fave terminal emulator (I
6 > recommend terminator for it's killer feature set) and conky for system
7 > monitoring, midnight commander or worker for file management, and you
8 > have a pretty complete desktop without need of all the bloaty k or g
9 > stuff. It's a *lot* faster that way, too.
13 I have Fluxbox installed here as well. I use it for a backup GUI. I
14 can open Seamonkey and some other programs in it. I mostly wanted
15 something that if KDE died, I could get to the mailing lists or the
16 forums and get help in a easy way.
17
18 KDE is big tho. I also like KDE. I tried Gnome but it just wasn't my
19 thing. Fluxbox as a backup is nice tho. It is surely fast on this 4
20 core 3.2Ghz with 8Gbs of ram rig. To say it flies is putting it mild. lol
21
22 For those keeping up, DHL got the new memory to Memphis. It has been
23 sitting at the post office since Monday. I'm hoping it will show up
24 today but it says next week on the website. Time to drag out my bicycle
25 again. lol
26
27 Dale
28