From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: Remerge the system with gcc-4.1?
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 05:55:28
1 I've held off on doing this gcc update as I'm on an old P4 2Ghz notebook
2 with 1G RAM (Dell i8200). Things are generally working okay (as well as
3 any linux/gentoo system can be I guess).
4
5 What is the compelling reason to update if any? I've masked out this new
6 GCC for many months and have had no "issues" thus far that I know of.
7
8 I absolutely dread dicking with this for days and days, fixing things
9 that currently work, merging all the /etc/ files with the "new" ones for
10 the same packages that will be simply re-compiled with the new GCC.
11
12 So my questions are:
13
14 [a] what compelling reason is there to upgrade (other than "you should
15 b/c it's stable")
16 [b] is it just better to d/l a new Gentoo .iso install that has all this
17 crap already, copy over my world file or whatever and have it install
18 the missing packages (apache, php, mysql, kde, gnome, etc)
19 [c] if I do that method, I would save the hassle of KDE and Gnome right?
20 As they come as binaries already?
21 [d] can I just "not fix if it aint broke" and keep with what I have? Or
22 is this just a question of time before I start hitting walls of new
23 packages I can't use.
24
25 > -----Original Message-----
26 > From: richard.j.fish@×××××.com
27 > [mailto:richard.j.fish@×××××.com] On Behalf Of Richard Fish
28 > Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 3:13 PM
29 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
30 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Remerge the system with gcc-4.1?
31 >