From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Remerge the system with gcc-4.1?
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:51:00
1 On Wednesday 10 October 2007, Daevid Vincent wrote:
2
3 > What is the compelling reason to update if any? I've masked out this new
4 > GCC for many months and have had no "issues" thus far that I know of.
5
6 As I understand it, your future compiles will faster, safer, more stable and
7 what have you, as the newer compiler is meant to produce 'better' code.
8
9 > I absolutely dread dicking with this for days and days, fixing things
10 > that currently work, merging all the /etc/ files with the "new" ones for
11 > the same packages that will be simply re-compiled with the new GCC.
12
13 If you follow the relevant upgrade guide to the letter, it *shouldn't* be as
14 dramatic as this. Nevertheless, your mileage may vary and all the caveat
15 emptors that go with it means that you better leave this upgrade for a rainy
16 day, rather than when you want to use the machine for production purposes.
17
18 > So my questions are:
19 >
20 > [a] what compelling reason is there to upgrade (other than "you should
21 > b/c it's stable")
22
23 As per my understanding above.
24
25 > [b] is it just better to d/l a new Gentoo .iso install that has all this
26 > crap already, copy over my world file or whatever and have it install
27 > the missing packages (apache, php, mysql, kde, gnome, etc)
28
29 Well, you'll still need to rebuild all/most of your world.
30
31 > [c] if I do that method, I would save the hassle of KDE and Gnome right?
32 > As they come as binaries already?
33
34 They do? Have I missed something?
35
36 > [d] can I just "not fix if it aint broke" and keep with what I have? Or
37 > is this just a question of time before I start hitting walls of new
38 > packages I can't use.
39
40 I guess you could get away with it for quite some time. Someone more
41 knowledgeable on system development ought to advise better here.
42
43 Good luck. :)
44 --
45 Regards,