From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BTRFS problem? [WAS Quick check on net-print/hplip-3.14.10]
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 17:57:16
1 On Friday 18 Sep 2015 17:16:54 Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > On Friday 18 September 2015 10:31:01 Mick wrote:
3 > >A couple of months ago the akonadi DB went sideways and kmail played up as
4 > >a result. Again I was suspicious of btrfs, but neither the logs nor fsck
5 > >showed up anything.
6 >
7 > I take it "btrfs scrub" didn't turn up anything, or is that what you meant
8 > by fsck?
9
10 Am I supposed to run scrub with I do not have a RAID running? I thought scrub
11 was meant for comparing checksums between mirrored fs - have I got this wrong?
14 > >The OS is on a single SSD (no RAID), with some caches and busy fs mounted
15 > >on a spinning disk. I have some backups in case of DR, but after a
16 > >while a corrupted fs will have migrated to the back ups.
17 >
18 > With btrfs, if there really was silent corruption, you wouldn't be able to
19 > access the file in the single disk case, so no, I don't think it actually
20 > would propagate to the backup (although perhaps you don't use btrfs
21 > exclusively, in which case it of course could). Though keep in mind that
22 > corruption can happen in a variety of ways, e.g., application-level or
23 > firmware bugs.
26 Regards,
27 Mick