From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Quick check on net-print/hplip-3.14.10
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 16:17:16
1 On Friday 18 September 2015 10:31:01 Mick wrote:
2 >A couple of months ago the akonadi DB went sideways and kmail played up as a
3 >result. Again I was suspicious of btrfs, but neither the logs nor fsck
4 >showed up anything.
5
6 I take it "btrfs scrub" didn't turn up anything, or is that what you meant by
7 fsck?
8
9 >The OS is on a single SSD (no RAID), with some caches and busy fs mounted on
10 >a spinning disk. I have some backups in case of DR, but after a while a
11 >corrupted fs will have migrated to the back ups.
12
13 With btrfs, if there really was silent corruption, you wouldn't be able to
14 access the file in the single disk case, so no, I don't think it actually
15 would propagate to the backup (although perhaps you don't use btrfs
16 exclusively, in which case it of course could). Though keep in mind that
17 corruption can happen in a variety of ways, e.g., application-level or
18 firmware bugs.
21 Marc Joliet
22 --
23 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
24 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup