From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Quick check on net-print/hplip-3.14.10
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:31:31
1 On Thursday 17 Sep 2015 23:33:57 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 18/09/2015 00:26, Mick wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 17 Sep 2015 20:25:57 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >> On 17/09/2015 19:36, Mick wrote:
5 > >>> OK, I managed to get 10 minutes access to the offending box and I
6 > >>> remerged hplip. Guess what? The 930c driver re-appeared on the list.
7 > >>> So I am now doubly paranoid that the btrfs is playing up ...
8 > >>
9 > >> Or, someone deleted the ppd and the re-emerge put it back :-)
10 > >
11 > > Hmm ... now, who would that be, when I'm the only one with root access to
12 > > this box? O_o
13 > >
14 > >> As the saying goes "never ascribe to malice what is adequately explained
15 > >> by stupidity"
16 > >
17 > > Yeah, right, I don't have to answer that. :-p
18 >
19 > When you said "I managed to get 10 minutes access to the offending box"
20 > I figured it wasn't yours, that it had users, and you were the guy with
21 > the problem of sorting it out, and you needed some pointy haired bosses'
22 > permission to do it at all.
23 >
24 > Seems that's not actually the case?
25
26 It is indeed the case, with the pointy haired boss being the missus and the
27 box in question a production desktop. :-))
28
29 I have to admit that I can't recall messing up with the ppd files, or indeed
30 ever using hpijs on this box.
31
32 A couple of months ago the akonadi DB went sideways and kmail played up as a
33 result. Again I was suspicious of btrfs, but neither the logs nor fsck showed
34 up anything.
35
36 The OS is on a single SSD (no RAID), with some caches and busy fs mounted on a
37 spinning disk. I have some backups in case of DR, but after a while a
38 corrupted fs will have migrated to the back ups.
39 --
40 Regards,
41 Mick