From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconstruct package.use
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 20:57:05
1 On 15/03/2015 16:45, Bruce Hill, Jr. wrote:
4 >> On March 14, 2015 at 6:12 PM Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> It took 10 years but I've finally done something monumentally stupid in
8 >> Gentoo:
9 >>
10 >> I delete package.use and have no backup
11 >>
12 >> Is there any easy way to recover what was in it? I'm busy doing it the
13 >> long way round - repeatedly running emerge world, get past the blocking
14 >> USE, then see all the flags that portage thinks changed.
15 >>
16 >> I wonder if there might be an easier way that I don't know of.
17 >>
18 >> --
19 >> Alan McKinnon
20 >> alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
21 >
22 > You have lost nothing, thanks to gentoolkit. Please run "enalyze rebuild use"
23 > and you will get package.use.test which will be the difference between default
24 > USE flags and yours. Then "mv package.use.test /etc/portage/package.use" will
25 > put you back in business.
28 Good find, hopefully I'll never need it again :-)
29
30 As luck would have it, I'd already finished reconstructing the file
31 manually the long way round - took about 3 hours.
35 Alan McKinnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com