From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: i486
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 19:48:46
1 On Thursday 25 November 2010 17:40:08 David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:10:02 +0100, sam new wrote about Re:
3 >
4 > [gentoo-user] Re: i486:
5 > >I have try LFS (linux from scratch) ,and install gentoo use
6 > >stage3 .Does the stage1 installs like that,Compile the toolchain and
7 > >build the system?
8 >
9 > Yes, You have to use the bootstrap compiler to build GCC, even before
10 > you build a kernel or glibc. It's long-winded and fairly technically
11 > demanding.
12
13 I recall building a few systems in the early days of gentoo. The funny thing
14 is that other than burning and booting Knoppix a couple of times I had no
15 Linux knowledge or experience. However, the gentoo handbook held my hand step
16 by step and all these years later I'm still here. So, if I could do it, I
17 wouldn't really call it technically demanding. ;-)
18
19 I guess the OP could use something like this, unless there's a better way
20 documented somewhere else:
21
22 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#stage12
23 --