From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT vmware] Networking Gentoo as guest on vista
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:48:47
1 reader@×××××××.com writes:
2
3 NOTE:
4 [ Sorry if this repost is a little abusive - possibly people just
5 felt it was too off topic and ignored it. I'm trying again since I
6 am not getting useful input from the vmware forums where this
7 properly belongs. Apparently not many of those vmware users are
8 involved with linux as guest OS, and I know from past experience
9 there are users here who can help with this]
12 I'm hoping some of you here have run gentoo on a windows host and will
13 know something about the various networking possibilities.
14
15 My setup:
16
17 Wireless connected laptop running windows vista premium home
18 Local lan network connected to internet via cable.
19
20 Home router has the internet connection and wireless laptop is joined
21 into lan by a WAP (Wireless access point). With static ip addressing
22 (not dhcp).
23
24 When setting up gentoo in the virtual machine you have two main
25 approaches to networking. Bridged and Nat.
26
27 Can anyone tell me which is best suited for my setup. I'd prefer not
28 to have to setup wireless networking and just use the host connection.
29
30 Starting the 2008.0 minimal iso file in vmware... I end up with a
31 working network immediately without doing a thing.
32
33 Maybe I can just transfer those settings somehow but there are no
34 setting in /etc/conf.d/net on the install disk.
35
36 It appears to have gotten an address from a dhcp server built into
37 vmware. [[added by HP -ed] However it offers addresses on the wrong
38 subnet for my local lan and I see no way to edit or change the subnet
39 it defaults too.]
40
41 I don't want to jerk around with wireless settings for the gentoo
42 install and would prefer to connect thru the hosts ip and nameserver,
43 letting the hosts wireless capabilities handle the wireless connection.
44
45 Should I use `Bridged' or `Nat'. And how to set it up after making
46 that decision? I suspect NAT is the answer since that works right out
47 of the box with 2008.1 minimal install *.iso.
48
49 However as mentioned above, that method ends up using a subnet that
50 does not match my local lan. The host can connect via ssh to the
51 livecd but no other part of the lan can (using NAT).
56 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list