From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT vmware] Networking Gentoo as guest on vista
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:11:59
1 On Tuesday 22 April 2008, 17:48, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > I'm hoping some of you here have run gentoo on a windows host and will
4 > know something about the various networking possibilities.
5 >
6 > My setup:
7 >
8 > Wireless connected laptop running windows vista premium home
9 > Local lan network connected to internet via cable.
10
11 Which version of vmware? Workstation of server? I assume server in the
12 following.
13
14 > Home router has the internet connection and wireless laptop is joined
15 > into lan by a WAP (Wireless access point). With static ip addressing
16 > (not dhcp).
17 >
18 > When setting up gentoo in the virtual machine you have two main
19 > approaches to networking. Bridged and Nat.
20 >
21 > Can anyone tell me which is best suited for my setup. I'd prefer not
22 > to have to setup wireless networking and just use the host connection.
23 >
24 > Starting the 2008.0 minimal iso file in vmware... I end up with a
25 > working network immediately without doing a thing.
26 >
27 > Maybe I can just transfer those settings somehow but there are no
28 > setting in /etc/conf.d/net on the install disk.
29 >
30 > It appears to have gotten an address from a dhcp server built into
31 > vmware. [[added by HP -ed] However it offers addresses on the wrong
32 > subnet for my local lan and I see no way to edit or change the subnet
33 > it defaults too.]
34
35 What setting did you choose for guest networking when creating the
36 virtual machine? bridged or NAT?
37
38 > I don't want to jerk around with wireless settings for the gentoo
39 > install and would prefer to connect thru the hosts ip and nameserver,
40 > letting the hosts wireless capabilities handle the wireless
41 > connection.
42 >
43 > Should I use `Bridged' or `Nat'. And how to set it up after making
44 > that decision? I suspect NAT is the answer since that works right out
45 > of the box with 2008.1 minimal install *.iso.
46 >
47 > However as mentioned above, that method ends up using a subnet that
48 > does not match my local lan. The host can connect via ssh to the
49 > livecd but no other part of the lan can (using NAT).
50
51 Basically, NAT creates a "private" network between the host's vmnet8 and
52 the guest's eth0. The host automatically performs NAT and IP forwarding
53 on behalf of the guest(s) connected to vmnet8. Only the host's IP
54 address is visible to the outside world. So, the private NAT network
55 between the host and the guest must NOT match the wireless network. In
56 any case, you can configure the DHCP pool used by NAT using vmware's
57 virtual network configuration utility.
58 As with every NAT setup, if you want external hosts to be able to reach
59 services behind the NAT, you have to configure port forwarding. With
60 vmware server for windows, you find these settings in "Manage virtual
61 networks" -> "NAT" tab -> "edit..." -> "Port forwarding...".
62
63 Bridged networking, otoh, puts the guest on the very same network of the
64 host (actually, virtual device vmnet0, which is a virtual switch bridged
65 to the host's physical adapter); this means that the guest must be
66 assigned an IP address in the same network of the host, and is seen by
67 other hosts on the network just as another regular computer.
68 Yes, with windows hosts only (alas) you can bridge the guest's eth0 with
69 a wireless adapter in the host, so you can use bridged networking if you
70 want.
71
72 Also, reading the "networking" chapter in the vmware server virtual
73 machine guide may be useful.
74
75 Hope this helps.
76 --