From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE won't start up....
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 17:39:03
1 Am Donnerstag, 5. Januar 2012, 01:04:53 schrieb Andrew Lowe:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I had a running KDE 4 setup and this afternoon did an:
4 >
5 > emerge -NuD world
6 >
7 > There were no errors reported, the kernel source had been updated, so I
8 > compiled the new kernel, and copied it into place, recompiled my nvidia
9 > driver and also evdev drivers and then rebooted the machine. Now, the
10 > machine boots up, I get all the usual booting messages, starting ntp,
11 > mounting drives, getting IP addresses, exporting nfs and so on, the
12 > screen goes black, the hour glass of the KDE log in screen briefly
13 > appears then the screen is blanked and I'm back at a text login.
14 >
15 > I've logged into the machine from the text login and recompiled the
16 > kernel, copied it into place, recompiled nvidia and evdev and still the
17 > problem persists. I've looked at the xorg & kdm logs and there are a
18 > few errors there that google searches seem to say are OK. The thing that
19 > is confusing is that when at the text prompt, I can start up bog
20 > standard X via "startx" and the mouse and keyboard work but I can't get
21 > KDE to start. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing
22 > this problem? Any thoughts on where, besides the two obvious logs, that
23 > I can try and track down what's going wrong here, or steps I can take to
24 > debug the KDE startup?
25 >
26 > Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
27 >
28 > Andrew
29
30 .xsession-errors
31
32 Xorg.0.log
33
34 please.
35 If both are huge, upload them somewhere.
36 Also make sure that the permissions of /tmp and /var/tmp are ok. Had it in the
37 past that some update did some very scary things to both places.
40 #163933