From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer@×××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:42:07
4 body p { margin-bottom: 0cm; margin-top: 0pt; }
7 On 19/03/2012 04:03, William Kenworthy wrote:
On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 18:30 -0600, Canek Pel��ez Vald��s wrote:
On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 15:39:59 -0500
16 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
On 18/03/2012 11:52, Dale wrote:
Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Saturday 17 March 2012 12:54:53 Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
genkernel is pretty simple to use if you ask me.
34 just
35
36 emerege genkernel
37
38 and then use
39
40 genkerenl --menuconfig all
41
42 it will do everything for you the same as in a regular kernel
43 compiling.
44
45 you have instructions on how to use genkernel on the handbook.
What's more, you don't have to keep going through menuconfig if
49 you already have a running self-compiled kernel. Just copy
50 the .config file to
51 somewhere safe (I use, e.g. /boot/config-3.2) and call genkernel
52 with the
53 option to specify the config file it's to use. Sorry but I can't
54 tell you
55 exactly what the parameter is as I don't have genkernel on this
56 box. Someone will be along in a moment though.
61 I used genkernel when I was first installing Gentoo. I let that
62 thing build half a dozen kernels, chroot in between too. You know
63 what, not one of them worked. That was a long time ago but let me
64 check something here.< spit spit spit> I had to get the bad
65 taste out of my mouth. lol
66
67 I might also add, I started using a init thingy a few weeks ago,
68 dracut tool. For some crazy reason, when I boot with the init
69 thingy, my system doesn't work right. When I boot without the
70 init thingy, it works fine. Still trying to figure out that one.
71 It's in another thread.
72
73 I don't see myself using genkernel any time soon. Right now, I'm
74 having flashbacks to hal with regard to dracut and the whole init
75 thingy /usr mess.
i have used genkernel for a long time and all of my genkernel
79 compilation works really good.
80 i have (counting, 1 very very big production server, 2 small
81 production server, 3 home server, 4 +5 +6 + 7 +8 of vms runing
82 genkernel with several services such as mail mail filtering web
83 server and monitoring) so what can i say? all these machines will
84 say other then you.
85
86 Regards,
87 Eliezer
Dale
92
93 :-) :-)
Odd, it can work on all those yet fail on a relatively simple system.
99 Makes one wonder. Maybe it is to complicated? Sort of starting to
100 sound like udev isn't it? lol
101
102 I didn't say it would fail for the OP. I just said it never worked
103 for me. Compiling my own has worked for me. I have only had one
104 failure with that. I might also add, I have read where others have
105 nightmares about genkernel. I'm not the only one.
And using genkernel is pretty fucking pointless while it doesn't
109 support suspend/resume right.
110
111 Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I don;t use genkernel so
112 don;t know the truth from experience. I only read what others say,
113 claiming that genkernel doesn't support suspend/resume.
Resume/suspend or
117 hibernate/whatever-the-inverse-of-hibernate-is-called? Because
118 resume/suspend has nothing to do with an initramfs (being genkernel or
119 dracut or whatever), since it doesn't "boot" the machine again
120 (contrary to hibernate/whatever-etc.)
121
122 My laptop has used dracut since months ago, and suspends/resumes just
123 fine, as it does my media center.
124
125 Regards.
Genkernel doesnt, bugs and work arounds on gentoo bugzilla, with angry
129 comments from a dev that it wont be supported and to not file bugs for
130 it - now that dev has moved on I dont know if enough has changed to test
131 the waters and file a bug again.
132
133 Its missing a hook in the initrd to call the binary that starts the
134 resume process.
135
136 I was reading where dracut needs a lot of work still, so despite my
137 previous bad experiences with genkernel in the past I went that way as
138 the suspend fix is available.
139
140 People generally just call it suspend/resume but technically,
141 suspend/resume is often used to refer to suspend to ram, and hibernate
142 is for suspend to disk - I use suspend to disk but generally just call
143 it suspend/resume as (non-tech) people I talk to know what I mean.
144 Calling it hibernate usually has them asking questions.
145
146 It does work, as I said in a previous post, but the whole initrd thing
147 is a disaster waiting to happen - and dont say to me it works for Red
148 Hat as proof that it must be good because thats the distro where my most
149 major initrd embarrassment occurred (update getting missmatched versions
150 and fail to reboot.)
151
152 Your experience may be different to mine, but I am of the once bitten,
153 twice shy persuasion. Whatever happened to Linux/Unix and its focus on
154 KISS as a major pillar of its stability?
158 BillK

well i find genkernel almost the same as compiling regular kernel

167 as a basis day task.

168

my systems setup is quite simple with no software raid or using

169 UUID for something.

170

i am testing now some Software raid options and lvm.

171

i dont use hibernation for servers ... so i dont know about it.

172

as it is covered in the handbook to use genkernel i suppose it

173 pretty stable for testing developers and users.

174

where can i find this bug list about the genkernel you where

175 talking about?

Thanks,

179

Eliezer