From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 02:05:43
1 On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 18:30 -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 15:39:59 -0500
4 > > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
7 > >> > On 18/03/2012 11:52, Dale wrote:
8 > >> >> Peter Humphrey wrote:
9 > >> >>> On Saturday 17 March 2012 12:54:53 Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
10 > >> >>>
11 > >> >>>> genkernel is pretty simple to use if you ask me.
12 > >> >>>> just
13 > >> >>>>
14 > >> >>>> emerege genkernel
15 > >> >>>>
16 > >> >>>> and then use
17 > >> >>>>
18 > >> >>>> genkerenl --menuconfig all
19 > >> >>>>
20 > >> >>>> it will do everything for you the same as in a regular kernel
21 > >> >>>> compiling.
22 > >> >>>>
23 > >> >>>> you have instructions on how to use genkernel on the handbook.
24 > >> >>>
25 > >> >>> What's more, you don't have to keep going through menuconfig if
26 > >> >>> you already have a running self-compiled kernel. Just copy
27 > >> >>> the .config file to
28 > >> >>> somewhere safe (I use, e.g. /boot/config-3.2) and call genkernel
29 > >> >>> with the
30 > >> >>> option to specify the config file it's to use. Sorry but I can't
31 > >> >>> tell you
32 > >> >>> exactly what the parameter is as I don't have genkernel on this
33 > >> >>> box. Someone will be along in a moment though.
34 > >> >>>
35 > >> >>
36 > >> >>
37 > >> >> I used genkernel when I was first installing Gentoo. I let that
38 > >> >> thing build half a dozen kernels, chroot in between too. You know
39 > >> >> what, not one of them worked. That was a long time ago but let me
40 > >> >> check something here.< spit spit spit> I had to get the bad
41 > >> >> taste out of my mouth. lol
42 > >> >>
43 > >> >> I might also add, I started using a init thingy a few weeks ago,
44 > >> >> dracut tool. For some crazy reason, when I boot with the init
45 > >> >> thingy, my system doesn't work right. When I boot without the
46 > >> >> init thingy, it works fine. Still trying to figure out that one.
47 > >> >> It's in another thread.
48 > >> >>
49 > >> >> I don't see myself using genkernel any time soon. Right now, I'm
50 > >> >> having flashbacks to hal with regard to dracut and the whole init
51 > >> >> thingy /usr mess.
52 > >> > i have used genkernel for a long time and all of my genkernel
53 > >> > compilation works really good.
54 > >> > i have (counting, 1 very very big production server, 2 small
55 > >> > production server, 3 home server, 4 +5 +6 + 7 +8 of vms runing
56 > >> > genkernel with several services such as mail mail filtering web
57 > >> > server and monitoring) so what can i say? all these machines will
58 > >> > say other then you.
59 > >> >
60 > >> > Regards,
61 > >> > Eliezer
62 > >> >
63 > >> >>
64 > >> >> Dale
65 > >> >>
66 > >> >> :-) :-)
67 > >> >>
68 > >>
69 > >> Odd, it can work on all those yet fail on a relatively simple system.
70 > >> Makes one wonder. Maybe it is to complicated? Sort of starting to
71 > >> sound like udev isn't it? lol
72 > >>
73 > >> I didn't say it would fail for the OP. I just said it never worked
74 > >> for me. Compiling my own has worked for me. I have only had one
75 > >> failure with that. I might also add, I have read where others have
76 > >> nightmares about genkernel. I'm not the only one.
77 > >
78 > > And using genkernel is pretty fucking pointless while it doesn't
79 > > support suspend/resume right.
80 > >
81 > > Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I don;t use genkernel so
82 > > don;t know the truth from experience. I only read what others say,
83 > > claiming that genkernel doesn't support suspend/resume.
84 >
85 > Resume/suspend or
86 > hibernate/whatever-the-inverse-of-hibernate-is-called? Because
87 > resume/suspend has nothing to do with an initramfs (being genkernel or
88 > dracut or whatever), since it doesn't "boot" the machine again
89 > (contrary to hibernate/whatever-etc.)
90 >
91 > My laptop has used dracut since months ago, and suspends/resumes just
92 > fine, as it does my media center.
93 >
94 > Regards.
95
96 Genkernel doesnt, bugs and work arounds on gentoo bugzilla, with angry
97 comments from a dev that it wont be supported and to not file bugs for
98 it - now that dev has moved on I dont know if enough has changed to test
99 the waters and file a bug again.
100
101 Its missing a hook in the initrd to call the binary that starts the
102 resume process.
103
104 I was reading where dracut needs a lot of work still, so despite my
105 previous bad experiences with genkernel in the past I went that way as
106 the suspend fix is available.
107
108 People generally just call it suspend/resume but technically,
109 suspend/resume is often used to refer to suspend to ram, and hibernate
110 is for suspend to disk - I use suspend to disk but generally just call
111 it suspend/resume as (non-tech) people I talk to know what I mean.
112 Calling it hibernate usually has them asking questions.
113
114 It does work, as I said in a previous post, but the whole initrd thing
115 is a disaster waiting to happen - and dont say to me it works for Red
116 Hat as proof that it must be good because thats the distro where my most
117 major initrd embarrassment occurred (update getting missmatched versions
118 and fail to reboot.)
119
120 Your experience may be different to mine, but I am of the once bitten,
121 twice shy persuasion. Whatever happened to Linux/Unix and its focus on
122 KISS as a major pillar of its stability?
126 BillK