From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: rdalek1967@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 00:31:46
1 On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 15:39:59 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
6 >> > On 18/03/2012 11:52, Dale wrote:
7 >> >> Peter Humphrey wrote:
8 >> >>> On Saturday 17 March 2012 12:54:53 Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
9 >> >>>
10 >> >>>> genkernel is pretty simple to use if you ask me.
11 >> >>>> just
12 >> >>>>
13 >> >>>> emerege genkernel
14 >> >>>>
15 >> >>>> and then use
16 >> >>>>
17 >> >>>> genkerenl --menuconfig all
18 >> >>>>
19 >> >>>> it will do everything for you the same as in a regular kernel
20 >> >>>> compiling.
21 >> >>>>
22 >> >>>> you have instructions on how to use genkernel on the handbook.
23 >> >>>
24 >> >>> What's more, you don't have to keep going through menuconfig if
25 >> >>> you already have a running self-compiled kernel. Just copy
26 >> >>> the .config file to
27 >> >>> somewhere safe (I use, e.g. /boot/config-3.2) and call genkernel
28 >> >>> with the
29 >> >>> option to specify the config file it's to use. Sorry but I can't
30 >> >>> tell you
31 >> >>> exactly what the parameter is as I don't have genkernel on this
32 >> >>> box. Someone will be along in a moment though.
33 >> >>>
34 >> >>
35 >> >>
36 >> >> I used genkernel when I was first installing Gentoo.  I let that
37 >> >> thing build half a dozen kernels, chroot in between too.  You know
38 >> >> what, not one of them worked.  That was a long time ago but let me
39 >> >> check something here.<  spit spit spit>   I had to get the bad
40 >> >> taste out of my mouth. lol
41 >> >>
42 >> >> I might also add, I started using a init thingy a few weeks ago,
43 >> >> dracut tool.  For some crazy reason, when I boot with the init
44 >> >> thingy, my system doesn't work right.  When I boot without the
45 >> >> init thingy, it works fine.  Still trying to figure out that one.
46 >> >> It's in another thread.
47 >> >>
48 >> >> I don't see myself using genkernel any time soon.  Right now, I'm
49 >> >> having flashbacks to hal with regard to dracut and the whole init
50 >> >> thingy /usr mess.
51 >> > i have used genkernel for a long time and all of my genkernel
52 >> > compilation works really good.
53 >> > i have (counting, 1 very very big production server, 2 small
54 >> > production server, 3 home server, 4 +5 +6 + 7 +8 of vms runing
55 >> > genkernel with several services such as mail mail filtering web
56 >> > server and monitoring) so what can i say? all these machines will
57 >> > say other then you.
58 >> >
59 >> > Regards,
60 >> > Eliezer
61 >> >
62 >> >>
63 >> >> Dale
64 >> >>
65 >> >> :-)  :-)
66 >> >>
67 >>
68 >> Odd, it can work on all those yet fail on a relatively simple system.
69 >> Makes one wonder.  Maybe it is to complicated?  Sort of starting to
70 >> sound like udev isn't it?  lol
71 >>
72 >> I didn't say it would fail for the OP.  I just said it never worked
73 >> for me.  Compiling my own has worked for me.  I have only had one
74 >> failure with that.  I might also add, I have read where others have
75 >> nightmares about genkernel.  I'm not the only one.
76 >
77 > And using genkernel is pretty fucking pointless while it doesn't
78 > support suspend/resume right.
79 >
80 > Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I don;t use genkernel so
81 > don;t know the truth from experience. I only read what others say,
82 > claiming that genkernel doesn't support suspend/resume.
83
84 Resume/suspend or
85 hibernate/whatever-the-inverse-of-hibernate-is-called? Because
86 resume/suspend has nothing to do with an initramfs (being genkernel or
87 dracut or whatever), since it doesn't "boot" the machine again
88 (contrary to hibernate/whatever-etc.)
89
90 My laptop has used dracut since months ago, and suspends/resumes just
91 fine, as it does my media center.
92
93 Regards.
94 --