From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia NVS 5200M
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:30:33
1 On Fri, Jul 27 2012, thanasis@××××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 > on 07/27/2012 10:12 PM Allan Gottlieb wrote the following:
4 >>
5 >> This is a std dell product (it is nvidia mobile device) so I am not
6 >> worried about the heat. It will doubtless shorten battery time, but I
7 >> mostly am plugged in.
8 >>
9 >> allan
12 > I wouldn't be so sure about it, after I had a bad experience with a
13 > 17-inch Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Xa 1526, which had an NVIDIA GeForce Go
14 > 7600 - 256MB DDR2. Powerfull graphics, but also a *very very* big heat
15 > source. Plus, although the laptop was built in Germany, its airflow
16 > design was totally inadequate to dissipate the heat even when the
17 > graphics card was not working under load.
18 > Under a load it was only a matter of minutes before it would crash.
19
20 That is pretty bad. I would have thought fujitsu wouldn't sell a
21 configuration so unstable. I am sure dell can be equally incompetent,
22 but NYU buys a lot from them so I am at least confident that they would
23 take it back.
24
25 allan