From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup questions
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 21:52:10
1 Am Freitag, 10. August 2018, 04:46:17 CEST schrieb Dale:
2 > Wols Lists wrote:
3 > > On 08/08/18 04:43, Dale wrote:
4 > >> Howdy,
5 > >>
6 > >> I just bought two external drive enclosures. One is sort of a spare but
7 > >> I do plan to do some backups on it, mostly pictures from my camera. In
8 > >> one of the enclosures I put a single 6TB drive that I found on ebay. It
9 > >> has about 7,000 hours on it so it should have some life left yet and it
10 > >> passed the smartctl tests. It is USB but it transfers fast. Now to
11 > >> some questions. I use rsync. Command looks something like rsync -auv
12 > >> /source/ /destination/. If I backup the config files in my home
13 > >> directory, should I also include the --delete option? If after a
14 > >> upgrade for example a config file is deleted, because it is no longer
15 > >> needed, or renamed, should the old file be removed or is there a reason
16 > >> to keep them on the backups? Adding the --delete option isn't a problem
17 > >> command wise BUT I wonder if it can cause a problem at some point.
18 > >> Thoughts on that. I plan to use the --delete option for videos since if
19 > >> I deleted one, it is likely broken or something. Biggest question is
20 > >> about config files.
21 > >
22 > > May I suggest using btrfs for your backup drive? One MAJOR caveat - DO
23 > > NOT let the drive fill up - a combination of snapshots and drive-full
24 > > has been known (quite often) to trash the file system. But provided you
25 > > make sure it doesn't go above about 80% you should be fine.
26 > >
27 > > You can add an option to rsync such that it will back up "in place". In
28 > > other words, if only 1K is changed in a 1M file, it will overwrite that
29 > > 1K. So when you back up, the procedure is to take a snapshot, then run
30 > > rsync with both "in place" and "delete".
31 > >
32 > > This will give you the space economy of incremental backups, combined
33 > > with the utility of full backups - each snapshot is a full backup as of
34 > > that date, but each new snapshot only increases disk usage by the
35 > > changes since the last. And you reclaim space by deleting old snapshots.
36 >
37 > I did think about btrfs. I've read a lot of threads on here about
38 > people using it and it seems to have come a long ways and be pretty
39 > stable. Right now, I've got a lot going on and really don't have the
40 > time to sit down and read up on it and how it works or what all it can
41 > do. In all honesty, if my system were to crash later when I don't have
42 > so much going on, I'd like to move to btrfs for as much as possible of
43 > my system.
44
45 Yeah, it's a good idea to wait until you have time :) . And then migrate
46 piecemeal, not all at once. Following up on Wol's suggestion, I would start
47 with the backup drive, since you can exploit most of the features there (well,
48 snapshots and compression, at least). Personally, I've had mostly good
49 experience with btrfs and enjoy its send/receive feature for full-system
50 incremental backups.
51
52 > I suspect /boot would still have to be ext2 or something
53 > because of grub.
54
55 GRUB actually supports btrfs. However, on a UEFI system you will need a FAT32
56 file system for /boot, so I would argue that on a relatively recent system the
57 issue is moot.
60 Marc Joliet
61 --
62 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
63 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup