From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev blocks systemd etc
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 02:56:58
1 On 03/27/2013 05:51 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 27/03/2013 22:41, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> The case for systemd is twofold:
4 >
5 > ...
6 >
7 >> 2) Reduce the amount of CPU and RAM consumed when you're talking about
8 >> booting tens of thousands of instances simultaneously across your entire
9 >> infrastructure, or when your server instance might be spun up and down
10 >> six times over the course of a single day.
11 >
12 > I seems to me that this is rather a niche quite-specialized case (albeit
13 > a rather large instance of a niche case). In which case it would be
14 > better implemented as Redhat MagicSauce for their cloud environment
15 > where it would be exactly tuned to that case's need.
16
17 But it's a great deal cheaper to convince volunteers and package
18 maintainers to put in the time to build the necessary service files of
19 their own accord. Add in the complexity of parallel boot, and you can
20 induce upstream to fix their own race-driven bugs rather than have to
21 pay for that development directly.