From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev blocks systemd etc
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 07:02:30
1 On 28/03/2013 04:56, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On 03/27/2013 05:51 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 27/03/2013 22:41, Michael Mol wrote:
4 >>> The case for systemd is twofold:
5 >>
6 >> ...
7 >>
8 >>> 2) Reduce the amount of CPU and RAM consumed when you're talking about
9 >>> booting tens of thousands of instances simultaneously across your entire
10 >>> infrastructure, or when your server instance might be spun up and down
11 >>> six times over the course of a single day.
12 >>
13 >> I seems to me that this is rather a niche quite-specialized case (albeit
14 >> a rather large instance of a niche case). In which case it would be
15 >> better implemented as Redhat MagicSauce for their cloud environment
16 >> where it would be exactly tuned to that case's need.
17 >
18 > But it's a great deal cheaper to convince volunteers and package
19 > maintainers to put in the time to build the necessary service files of
20 > their own accord. Add in the complexity of parallel boot, and you can
21 > induce upstream to fix their own race-driven bugs rather than have to
22 > pay for that development directly.
25 I don't follow the thought stream here Michael.
26 It feels like there's a word or a sentence missing (it's just not
27 hanging together)
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com