From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strategies for testing an ebuild
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 20:57:59
1 On Tue, Oct 20, 2020, at 14:01, Anton wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > I am taking on maintaining a package in gentoo-sci overlay. What are
5 > good ways to test that my ebuild works before creating a pull request?
6 >
7 > I am thinking to install a Gentoo Prefix, snapshot its "vanilla" state,
8 > and run `emerge $mypackage` in the vanilla Prefix as a test. Are there
9 > better strategies?
10
11 Generally, I just `sudo ebuild <path/to/software.ebuild> clean install merge'
12 and test that it works directly on my system. I only proxy-maintain 1 package,
13 though, so others will probably have much better workflows.
14
15 Alec