From: Rasmus Andersen <rasmus@×××××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ghosting a Ext3 partition
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 13:43:02
1 On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 09:51:47PM +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
2 > Understood - I have seen that article too. I must say, I've mainly had
3 > experience with 'dump' on Freebsd and 'xfsdump' on Linux, and never had
4 > restore issues with *either* of these. Now I'm not sure whether these are
5 > supposed to be better than 'dump' on Linux aimed at ext2|3 filesystems -
6 > certainly Freebsd's 'dump' has an option to tell it that it is dumping a
7 > 'live' filesystem, and the man pages for xfsrestore have notes concerning
8 > what happens when restoring an (xfs)dump from a 'live' filesystem - so they
9 > may well be!
10
11 FreeBSD's softupdates should make filesystem state always consistent,
12 metadatawise. Or so I think I remember, its been a while. That might
13 aleviate some of the problems noted on the dump page I referenced.
14
15 > On the other hand I've certainly routinely seen cases of people using dd
16 > (rsync, cpio, tar etc) and coming to grief at restore time. I am reluctant
17 > to suggest that folks use xfs and hence get access to xfsdump, as one of
18 > the nice things about Linux is the choice of a variety of filesystems -
19 > but it is pretty important to get able to backup of (for instance ) / ...
20 > and you usually don't have much option other than doing it live!
21
22 I use rdiff-backup for my backups but then again I have low requirements
23 wrt. consistency outside file-level. I have considered LVM snapshots
24 since I use LVM already but havent bothered so far.
25
26 Cheers,
27 Rasmus
28 --