From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ghosting a Ext3 partition
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 23:49:15
1 Rasmus Andersen wrote:
4 > FreeBSD's softupdates should make filesystem state always consistent,
5 > metadatawise. Or so I think I remember, its been a while. That might
6 > aleviate some of the problems noted on the dump page I referenced.
10 Freebsd's dump -L (live option) uses ufs2 snapshot capability to ensure
11 consistency, so its dump is reasonably smart. (FWIW / on Freebsd usually
12 does not have softupdates specified, so usually won't help here). So
13 yeah, it looks like some care is needed with plain old 'dump' on Linux -
14 which is a bit of a pest!
15 > I use rdiff-backup for my backups but then again I have low requirements
16 > wrt. consistency outside file-level. I have considered LVM snapshots
17 > since I use LVM already but havent bothered so far.
21 Right - what you intend the backup to protect against drives all this
22 sort of stuff.
27 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list