From: Jonathan Haws <Jonathan.Haws@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ghosting a Ext3 partition
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 20:17:34
1 On Sunday March 2 2008 16:43, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
2 > Right - what you intend the backup to protect against drives all this
3 > sort of stuff.
4
5 The thing that is driving my backups is a hard disk failure. Hence I was
6 using Ghost instead of something else so I can backup the entire drive and
7 not just a single partition. That enables the quickest recovery of the
8 entire system in the event of a failure.
9
10 I have looked everywhere I can think of to find a tool that is similar to
11 Ghost that will backup the entire hard drive to an image that I can put to
12 DVD, without including free blocks on the disk (I don't want an 80GB image of
13 an 80GB drive when only 5GB are in use at the time). Does anyone know of a
14 tool capable of this that runs on Linux and has FULL Linux fs support?
17 Jonathan
20 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list