From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Ghosting a Ext3 partition
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 08:10:19
1 Jonathan Haws <Jonathan.Haws@×××××××.edu> wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday March 2 2008 16:43, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
4 >> Right - what you intend the backup to protect against drives all this
5 >> sort of stuff.
6 >
7 > The thing that is driving my backups is a hard disk failure.
8
9 Of course :)
10
11 > Hence I was
12 > using Ghost instead of something else so I can backup the entire drive and
13 > not just a single partition. That enables the quickest recovery of the
14 > entire system in the event of a failure.
15
16 Depends. If you'd just store tar files, you'd just have to create the
17 filesystem beforehand and then restore the tar files. Won't take much
18 longer than restoring a Ghost image, I'd suppose.
19
20 > I have looked everywhere I can think of to find a tool that is similar to
21 > Ghost that will backup the entire hard drive to an image that I can put to
22 > DVD, without including free blocks on the disk (I don't want an 80GB image
23 > of
24 > an 80GB drive when only 5GB are in use at the time).
25
26 That's why I'd rather use tar... An additional benefit is, that tar
27 is *MUCH* simpler than Ghost (or partimage). Because of that, you could
28 use your tar file in many more applications (for example if you want
29 to have a look at what the file was at your last backup).
30
31 > Does anyone know of
32 > a tool capable of this that runs on Linux and has FULL Linux fs support?
33
34 partimage.
35
36 Michael