From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ghosting a Ext3 partition
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 04:39:17
1 Jonathan Haws wrote:
2 > On Sunday March 2 2008 16:43, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
3 >
4 >> Right - what you intend the backup to protect against drives all this
5 >> sort of stuff.
8 > The thing that is driving my backups is a hard disk failure. Hence I was
9 > using Ghost instead of something else so I can backup the entire drive and
10 > not just a single partition. That enables the quickest recovery of the
11 > entire system in the event of a failure.
12 >
13 > I have looked everywhere I can think of to find a tool that is similar to
14 > Ghost that will backup the entire hard drive to an image that I can put to
15 > DVD, without including free blocks on the disk (I don't want an 80GB image of
16 > an 80GB drive when only 5GB are in use at the time). Does anyone know of a
17 > tool capable of this that runs on Linux and has FULL Linux fs support?
20 I actually think that 'dump' will do what you want... provided you can
21 choose a time when the machine is not busy (should be easy if it's your
22 desktop!). You have to do 1 dump per filesystem, but many desktop
23 installations only consist of / (+ maybe /boot) anyway. Also dump of a
24 80Gb system that only uses 5Gb will produce a 5Gb image.... Also it can
25 do incremental an cumulative backups.
26
27 Some friends of mine use Amanda to backup their (Redhat/Centos) servers,
28 that may worth looking at too.
29
30 Cheers
31