From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI X trouble, again
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:09:33
1 Mark Knecht writes:
2
3 > On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
4 > wrote:
5
6 > I have a couple of old Asus Pundit-R machines that I use for MythTV
7 > frontends which had the same sort of problems - a specific ATI VGA
8 > 9100 IGP design built into the chipset and I needed TVout to drive the
9 > TVs. I was stuck with very old kernels and an old ATI fglrx driver
10 > made even more difficult as the Gentoo maintainers dropped everything
11 > I was using from portage and I had to build my own overlays. It was a
12 > mess.
13
14 At least that makes me feel not so alone :)
15
16 > I did recently manage to get things running with new software and
17 > the Open Source radeon driver. Maybe some of this will help you and
18 > your friend. Feel free to contact me off-list if you need to.
19
20 Thanks for the offer!
21
22 > A couple of things to note:
23 >
24 > 1) I've never done any hal specific modifications on any of my machines.
25
26 Neither did I. I have it enabled now, while at first I had trouble and
27 compiled xorg-server without support for it. My keyboard and mouse are still
28 configured in xorg.conf, because I want the german layout and activate a
29 composite key, and I do not want to learn how to configure this the HAL way
30 (seems like HAL is in the process of being dropped anyway).
31
32 > 2) You must choose an 800x600 default resolution for the Open Source
33 > TVout logic to work as that's the only one they implemented.
34 > 3) If it matters my TVout is S-video
35
36 Thanks for the information. However, I did not try anything with TV-out yet,
37 since I do not get any output on the primary screen. Did you also have
38 trouble with that?
41 > Section "Device"
42 > Identifier "** ATI Radeon (generic) [radeon]"
43 > Driver "radeon"
44 > Option "ForceTVOut" "on"
45 > Option "TVDACLoadDetect" "TRUE"
46 > Option "TVStandard" "ntsc"
47 > Option "monitor-S-video" "TV-monitor"
48 > EndSection
49
50 Great, I will need those once I get the primary display to work.
51
52 Wonko