From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI X trouble, again
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:20:58
1 On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht writes:
3 <SNIP>
4 >
5 >> 2) You must choose an 800x600 default resolution for the Open Source
6 >> TVout logic to work as that's the only one they implemented.
7 >> 3) If it matters my TVout is S-video
8 >
9 > Thanks for the information. However, I did not try anything with TV-out yet,
10 > since I do not get any output on the primary screen. Did you also have
11 > trouble with that?
14 The machine is hooked to the TV so I did all my debugging using the TV
15 and never used a normal monitor at all. On these machine I have to
16 choose a specific output - TV or monitor - in BIOS. My experience with
17 these Asus machines is the Phoenix BIOS didn't do a good job of
18 auto-selecting which output to use and I didn't want to confuse things
19 as my needs are TV only. I think I tried a monitor once, probably got
20 a blank screen, and then gave up and just used the TV from there on.
21
22 In your friend's case, if she's using a monitor sometimes and a TV
23 sometimes, then that's beyond my experience on these boxes and you are
24 unfortunately more on your own. I know the machine will drive a
25 monitor - I have a 3rd that I use that way - but I've not had luck
26 getting it to switch back and forth on command, although I haven't
27 tried very hard.
28
29 Good luck,
30 Mark