From: "Евгений Пермяков" <permeakra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : CPU : 22 nm vs 32 nm
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:19:34
1 On 07/26/2012 05:50 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Евгений Пермяков <permeakra@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 07/26/2012 12:05 AM, Philip Webb wrote:
4 >>> I've listed what's available at the local store,
5 >>> which I trust to stock reliable items, tho' I wouldn't ask their advice.
6 >>>
7 >>> All the AMD's are 32 nm , while the Intel recommended by one commenter
8 >>> -- Core i5-3570 4-Core Socket LGA1155, 3.4 Ghz, 6MB L3 Cache, 22 nm --
9 >>> is 22 nm : it costs CAD 230 & they have 3 in stock,
10 >>> which suggests demand, but not the most popular ( 9 in stock).
11 >>>
12 >>> Isn't 22 nm going to be faster than 32 nm ?
13 >>>
14 >>> In the same price range, AMD offers Bulldozer X8 FX-8150 (125W)
15 >>> 8-Core Socket AM3+, 3.6 GHz, 8Mb Cache, 32 nm ( CAD 220 , 2 in
16 >>> stock).
17 >>>
18 >>> How do you compare cores vs nm ?
19 >>> How far is cache size important ( 6 vs 8 MB )?
20 >>>
21 >>> When I built my current machine 2007, the CPU cost CAD 213 ,
22 >>> so both look as if they're in the right ballpark.
23 >>>
24 >> If you're building new, performance-oriented box, you should take latest
25 >> intel with AVX because of AVX. As I recall, recent gcc has support for avx,
26 >> so some performance gain may be achieved.
27 >> If you want home box, you may be interested in AMD A8 and similar chips, as
28 >> they are reasonably fast and very chip
29 > AMD parts have had AVX since the Bulldozer core release in Q3 2011.
30 Are they already available in reasonable numbers on market?
31 >
32 >> In any case, I'd put most of my money in 2-4 big 3Tb HDD's for media and 8+
33 >> Gb fast memory, as modern browsers eat memory like crazies and CPU is
34 >> usually fast enough. Decoding HDTV mkv's should occur on gpu block in any
35 >> case, so general performance for most uses is irrelevant, as it was fast
36 >> enough four yesrs earlier. Simply check, that you can offload HDTV decoding
37 >> to GPU in your config.
38 > Here, you're talking about either VDPAU or VAAAPI support. VDPAU is
39 > only offered by nVidia cards, and even then you need to run the
40 > proprietary driver. VAAPI is supported by Intel graphics and ATI's
41 > proprietary driver.
42 I do not see any problems with this. A blob in system is not best
43 practice, of course, but it does not need any configuration and is not a
44 performance bottle-neck, so there is no reason to care.
45
46 I personally would prefer AMD A8 if I can offload decoding to GPU unit
47 there (not sure if I can, so won't change my box till next summer), but
48 discrete video card will not be the most costly part in good non-gaming
49 box, hard drives will, so again, what the matter?
50 > There's talk about using VDPAU as a backend to
51 > VAAPI, but everything I read on the subect says things like
52 > 'potentially' and 'could be'.