From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : CPU : 22 nm vs 32 nm
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:52:10
1 On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Евгений Пермяков <permeakra@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 07/26/2012 12:05 AM, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I've listed what's available at the local store,
5 >> which I trust to stock reliable items, tho' I wouldn't ask their advice.
6 >>
7 >> All the AMD's are 32 nm , while the Intel recommended by one commenter
8 >> -- Core i5-3570 4-Core Socket LGA1155, 3.4 Ghz, 6MB L3 Cache, 22 nm --
9 >> is 22 nm : it costs CAD 230 & they have 3 in stock,
10 >> which suggests demand, but not the most popular ( 9 in stock).
11 >>
12 >> Isn't 22 nm going to be faster than 32 nm ?
13 >>
14 >> In the same price range, AMD offers Bulldozer X8 FX-8150 (125W)
15 >> 8-Core Socket AM3+, 3.6 GHz, 8Mb Cache, 32 nm ( CAD 220 , 2 in
16 >> stock).
17 >>
18 >> How do you compare cores vs nm ?
19 >> How far is cache size important ( 6 vs 8 MB )?
20 >>
21 >> When I built my current machine 2007, the CPU cost CAD 213 ,
22 >> so both look as if they're in the right ballpark.
23 >>
24 > If you're building new, performance-oriented box, you should take latest
25 > intel with AVX because of AVX. As I recall, recent gcc has support for avx,
26 > so some performance gain may be achieved.
27 > If you want home box, you may be interested in AMD A8 and similar chips, as
28 > they are reasonably fast and very chip
29
30 AMD parts have had AVX since the Bulldozer core release in Q3 2011.
33 > In any case, I'd put most of my money in 2-4 big 3Tb HDD's for media and 8+
34 > Gb fast memory, as modern browsers eat memory like crazies and CPU is
35 > usually fast enough. Decoding HDTV mkv's should occur on gpu block in any
36 > case, so general performance for most uses is irrelevant, as it was fast
37 > enough four yesrs earlier. Simply check, that you can offload HDTV decoding
38 > to GPU in your config.
39
40 Here, you're talking about either VDPAU or VAAAPI support. VDPAU is
41 only offered by nVidia cards, and even then you need to run the
42 proprietary driver. VAAPI is supported by Intel graphics and ATI's
43 proprietary driver. There's talk about using VDPAU as a backend to
44 VAAPI, but everything I read on the subect says things like
45 'potentially' and 'could be'.
48 :wq