From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Home page slowness
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 22:45:22
1 On Saturday 10 May 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Ah, but www.gentoo.org/doc actually does contain decent INFORMATION in a
4 > manner that I can find.
5
6 Right, but I can think of better ways to search through it by category, by
7 keyword, by arch, by whatever, than just use Google.
8
9 > All I ever seem to get out of ubuntu.com (after the cute front page) is
10 > the equivalent of Ubuntu For Dummies or endless chitter-chatter on web
11 > forums almost exclusively populated by 14 year olds. Or people mentally
12 > equivalent to 14 year olds.
13
14 I haven't visited Ubuntu for more than a year and a half now and back then it
15 seemed to me that it was comparatively easier to find what I was after.
16
17 > gentoo is a lot like Ferraris, Buells and Crays - virtually nobody, but
18 > nobody, gets involved with them without being quite knowledgeable about
19 > the subject as a whole and having a very good idea of what they are all
20 > about.
21
22 Sure, but there will be the few select who will decide to cut their teeth into
23 Linux with Gentoo. I will always warn them and then welcome them.
24
25 > Let's put it another way. Person X from company Y is evaluating distros
26 > and is put off by www.gentoo.org's front page. Right. Now, what kind of
27 > user is person X do you think? Someone who will be able to use Gentoo
28 > to it's full potential right away? No, I don't think so. If you need to
29 > read the front page to find out the basics of what it is, then you
30 > shouldn't be anywhere near Gentoo as a corporate. You'd be much better
31 > off looking into the well-known binary distros.
32
33 I can't but agree. Gentoo is a labour of love, not a 15 minute install script
34 for a busy sysadmin who's used to binary distros.
35
36 > I'm not spouting steam out my nose here. My day job is looking after 20
37 > gentoo servers out in the wild at customer's premises. My personal
38 > machines have been exclusively gentoo for over 3 years now. I'm
39 > migrating the customer's machines over to Ubuntu server LTS one by one
40 > as the hardware gets upgraded. Why? Why does someone, who is well known
41 > in my city for being the biggest Gentoo fan around, do that?
42 >
43 > Because I cannot deal with the learning curve of my juniors anymore. I
44 > don't want to have to still make every USE related decision on every
45 > machine even though a junior is sitting right there logged in. It makes
46 > complete sense for $ARB_UBUNTU_DEV to make those decisions instead.
47
48 The last server I installed for a customer was an OpenSuse . . . I haven't had
49 a single call in the last 8 months (other than to thank me for a nice
50 server!)
51
52 > So let's tidy up gentoo.org by all means and make it a bit more obvious
53 > how this awesome thing called portage works. But lets not be deceived
54 > into thinking the distro itself is a mass-market distro because it
55 > isn't. It's more like a magnificent hand-made piece of fine Italian
56 > machinery. And I like it that way.
57
58 Absolutely, so do I. On the other hand, I am inclined to give every help and
59 opportunity to a willing Gentoo starter. I am not for a minute suggesting
60 that Gentoo is a broad appeal Linux system. All I am saying is let's make a
61 small effort to present it in a more user friendly way - we're not gaining
62 anything by unnecessarily alienating potential Gentoo advocates.
63 --
64 Regards,
65 Mick