From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Home page slowness
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 20:49:25
1 On Sunday 11 May 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > On Sat, 10 May 2008 16:43:41 +0100
3 >
4 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > The OP has inadvertently given us some valuable feedback, which
6 > > stands on its own and is irrelevant with the fact that he (like
7 > > many other non-gentoo users) had mistaken Gentoo for
8 > > yet-another-binary-distro. Having a user friendly website that
9 > > also caters to the needs of newcomers to the Gentoo scene, requires
10 > > that the key features and benefits of Gentoo are easily
11 > > visible/accessible. Not many people will navigate to hidden
12 > > Statistics pages to draw their own conclusions. These could be
13 > > users that one day prove valuable contributors. I suggest that we
14 > > spring clean the website and consider our new visitors needs at the
15 > > same time (plus things like the much asked for Documentation search
16 > > field?). ;-)
17 > >
18 > > Just my 2c's.
19 >
20 > Yep, gentoo.org really seems to have been created from devs and users
21 > for devs and users. There is nothing like a "Features" page or "Why
22 > to choose Gentoo" for newcomers. Heck, you have to search hard to
23 > even learn whether it is suitable for desktops or servers! Just
24 > compare ubuntu.com with gentoo.org, for example. The difference is
25 > striking.
26
27 Ah, but www.gentoo.org/doc actually does contain decent INFORMATION in a
28 manner that I can find.
29
30 All I ever seem to get out of ubuntu.com (after the cute front page) is
31 the equivalent of Ubuntu For Dummies or endless chitter-chatter on web
32 forums almost exclusively populated by 14 year olds. Or people mentally
33 equivalent to 14 year olds.
34
35 gentoo is a lot like Ferraris, Buells and Crays - virtually nobody, but
36 nobody, gets involved with them without being quite knowledgeable about
37 the subject as a whole and having a very good idea of what they are all
38 about.
39
40 Let's put it another way. Person X from company Y is evaluating distros
41 and is put off by www.gentoo.org's front page. Right. Now, what kind of
42 user is person X do you think? Someone who will be able to use Gentoo
43 to it's full potential right away? No, I don't think so. If you need to
44 read the front page to find out the basics of what it is, then you
45 shouldn't be anywhere near Gentoo as a corporate. You'd be much better
46 off looking into the well-known binary distros.
47
48 I'm not spouting steam out my nose here. My day job is looking after 20
49 gentoo servers out in the wild at customer's premises. My personal
50 machines have been exclusively gentoo for over 3 years now. I'm
51 migrating the customer's machines over to Ubuntu server LTS one by one
52 as the hardware gets upgraded. Why? Why does someone, who is well known
53 in my city for being the biggest Gentoo fan around, do that?
54
55 Because I cannot deal with the learning curve of my juniors anymore. I
56 don't want to have to still make every USE related decision on every
57 machine even though a junior is sitting right there logged in. It makes
58 complete sense for $ARB_UBUNTU_DEV to make those decisions instead.
59
60 So let's tidy up gentoo.org by all means and make it a bit more obvious
61 how this awesome thing called portage works. But lets not be deceived
62 into thinking the distro itself is a mass-market distro because it
63 isn't. It's more like a magnificent hand-made piece of fine Italian
64 machinery. And I like it that way.
68 Alan McKinnon
69 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
72 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list