From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VirtualBox question on Thinkpad laptop
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 01:16:21
1 On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 03:46:59PM -0600, Grant Taylor wrote
2 > On 8/20/22 12:30 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > Long-story-short; I run ArcaOS (backwards compatable OS/2 successor)
4 > > as a guest on QEMU on my desktop.
5 >
6 > Aside: Is ArcaOS really a different version of OS/2? Or is it still
7 > 4.x with patches and updated drivers? I saw extremely little
8 > difference, other than eye candy / included open source packages,
9 > between IBM OS/2 Warp 4.5x, eComm Server, and ArcaOS.
10
11 ArcaOS started at version 5.0 to pay homage to the fact that it's
12 effectively OS/2 Warp 5.
13
14 > I assume that since you're running ArcaOS, that you have support from
15 > Arca Noae. As such, I'd open a support ticket with them and ask about
16 > guest add-ons for various hyper visors.
17
18 Yes, but the Google hits I got were for people trying to run various
19 versions of Windows and linux as a QEMU guest on a Lenovo laptop. This
20 indicates a more general Lenovo-QEMU conflict, going beyond ArcaOS. If
21 my system stays stable for a week or so, I'll consider submitting a FAQ
22 entry to QEMU.org for Lenovo laptops.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications