From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VirtualBox question on Thinkpad laptop
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 21:47:43
1 On 8/20/22 12:30 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > Long-story-short; I run ArcaOS (backwards compatable OS/2 successor)
3 > as a guest on QEMU on my desktop.
4
5 Aside: Is ArcaOS really a different version of OS/2? Or is it still
6 4.x with patches and updated drivers? I saw extremely little
7 difference, other than eye candy / included open source packages,
8 between IBM OS/2 Warp 4.5x, eComm Server, and ArcaOS.
9
10 Further Aside: I run anything in the above to be able to drive my
11 P/390-E PCI card.
12
13 > The Lenovo Thinkpad has the "vmx" cpu flag, so QEMU is theoretically
14 > doable. But the mouse is extremely flakey, to the point of
15 > unusability, under QEMU on the Thinkpad. I've tried various tweaks,
16 > but no luck. I "asked Mr. Google", but only found other people with
17 > the same problem... and no solution.
18
19 This sounds extremely reminiscent of guest OS driver / utility
20 integration, or rather the lack there of, when running OS/2 et al. in VM.
21
22 > Are there any booby-traps to watch out for? What I'm most concerned
23 > about is the default "qt5" USE flag. Is VirtualBox usable without
24 > the qt5 GUI?
25
26 I've not fond much effective difference in the various hyper visors,
27 save for driver / guest OS additions / integration maturity level.
28 Sure, different hyper visors have varying maturity levels of the
29 management utilities. But I've gotten all of them to do what I want. I
30 prefer VirtualBox on stand alone workstation for lab / play thing and
31 VMware's (free) ESXi on my server for things I want running months at a
32 time (read: to continue running when I reboot my workstation to change
33 kernels).
34
35 I assume that since you're running ArcaOS, that you have support from
36 Arca Noae. As such, I'd open a support ticket with them and ask about
37 guest add-ons for various hyper visors.
38
39 I don't know the current state of 3rd party guest add-ons for OS/2 / eCS
40 / ArcaOS under VirtualBox. Hopefully they've improved since the last
41 time I looked.
42
43 Surprisingly enough, I think the best integration that I ever saw was
44 under an *OLD* version of Microsoft's Virtual PC / Virtual Server /
45 Hyper-V. Back when they still supported OS/2 as a guest OS in an
46 official capacity. Perhaps you can run an old version thereof or
47 extract the guest add-ons therefrom and use them elsewhere.
52 Grant. . . .
53 unix || die